Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 2 Reflection: Competency Review & Job Entry Plan


Competency Review
In reviewing the competencies and activities that I completed during the Superintendent internship it was good to notice the varied and differing experiences I was able to participate in that I otherwise would have no knowledge of. Participating in activities corresponding to the ten Superintendent competencies has helped me grow and develop my capacity for leadership as a second year administrator. The (new) experience(s) I gained during the internship have helped me to grow as a leader, with application in my current campus position, while yet helping me to learn to see the district-wide perspective. The new experience and knowledge I have received can only help in my development towards becoming a better campus leader, and effective future district leader.
Job Entry Plan 
When in pursuit of a desired position, I have a tendency to focus on what the next step to gaining that position will be. For example, when in the interview process, my mind could be consumed with trying to be prepared for every question while making a positive impression. Once the position is attained though, then what? Developing a job entry plan for the position of Superintendent allowed me to apply what I’ve learned throughout this program in yet another way, visualizing what I should do at different benchmarks in time during the first year as Superintendent. As the position requires a tremendous set of responsibilities, it can be overwhelming to consider. Despite this, I really like the idea of giving thought to the job entry plan in advance to achieving the position, by breaking it down into reasonable “chunks” in order to make the transition as easy as possible. When creating my job entry plan I considered an interview I had earlier in this program with my Superintendent. I tried to use important experiences he shared with me when developing the job entry plan. These themes included building rapport/establishing relationships with board and staff members, students, and the community, establishing open, two-way communication, assessing district/staff strength/weaknesses, and determining whom the “players” are in the community and district. A benefit to this activity is that I can apply it to future transitions in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment