Saturday, January 21, 2012

5399 Week 1, Part 1 Reflection


When completing this self-assessment in 5396 Superintendent Internship A, it became evident to me that I definitely had a lot to learn in regards to working towards Superintendent certification. While completing the assessment in this course, 5399 Superintendent Internship B, and comparing it to my previous self-assessment I feel that I have gained valuable knowledge throughout the Superintendent Certification program, and the internship experiences in which I participated. I was very hesitant to rate myself as “S” in many areas, mainly due to the fact that I am currently in my second year of administration (Assistant Principal), and am not a head Principal. The areas that I feel are a personal strength for me are the competencies in which I feel I can easily transfer my learning from a campus administrator to that of district administrator. The particular domains of which I am referencing are that of Domain I Leadership of the Educational Community, and Domain II Instructional Leadership. Ethics, shaping district culture, communicating with the community, strategic planning, and evaluation systems are all areas that I participate in on a campus level, and those experiences will be valuable, in addition to the new knowledge and skills I have gained in this program towards my development as a district administrator. In developing my internship plan I referenced the self-assessment from 5396 to specifically address areas I rated myself as “I,” improve my knowledge and skill. During this assessment I felt more comfortable as rating many of those areas as “Competent” as I feel I have gained knowledge in my areas of weakness, because of the knowledge I received from the courses, and the experience I gained throughout the Superintendent internship. While I could apply my own rating to the level of “Competent” I feel I have achieved (Highly Competent, Moderately Competent, Minimally Competent), I will say that Domain III Administrative Leadership is an area in which I can continue to experience the most growth. 

1 comment:

  1. Wes- Sounds like you have really grown during the last 8 months. It belief it is evident from your posting that you will do an outstanding job as campus principal and/or central administration.

    ReplyDelete