Thursday, February 16, 2012

Week Five – Part E of the Final Report: Three Year Professional Development Plan


3-Year Professional Development Plan
In developing my Professional Development Plan I targeted my areas of weakness in regards to becoming an effective district level leader. Based on information gathered from my assessments and the SISE I was able to compile a list of comprehensive professional development activities, goals, objectives, mentors, resources, timelines, and evaluation methods to help me gauge my growth towards attaining the desired goals. Through developing this plan I learned about my areas of weakness and have learned about various ways that I can address them. Developing a set of professional goals has been beneficial to me in that it will help me to focus on ways that I can improve myself in regards to one day attaining a district level position. As with the internship plan, I’m sure that my Professional Development Plan will be subject to change through the years in order to mold me into the type of leader that my district requires.



Year One

Goal
Improve knowledge and skills in the area of administrative leadership specifically in maintenance and operations of the school district.
TExES
Competency and Domain
Domain
III
Competency 009
Objective
(What do you want to improve?)
I want to improve my knowledge of bonds, bids, and types of contracts in regards to procedures for renovating and or constructing school facilities.
Course Work/Book/
Workshops
(How do you want to improve?)
Budget workshops
Bond workshops
Meet with district Superintendent and Chief Financial Officer
Mentor
Professional Support
(Who will help you improve?)
Superintendent
Chief Financial Officer
Date of
Completion
February 2013
Evaluations
(How will you know you have improved?)
I will be able to understand and provide effective advice to district level administrators about bond processes, bids,   and pros and cons to various contract types. 

Goal
Improve my knowledge and skills to better support staff members as an instructional leader.
TExES
Competency and Domain
Domain
II
Competency
007
Objective
(What do you want to improve?)
Improve my knowledge to current trends and developments in regards to teaching and learning.
Course Work/Book/
Workshops
(How do you want to improve?)
Professional literature,
workshops
Mentor
Professional Support
(Who will help you improve?)
Asst. Supt. of Curriculum/Instruction
Date of
Completion
February 2013
Evaluations
(How will you know you have improved?)
I will lead, guide, and direct others in staff development sessions and will survey members about the sessions provided.

Year Two

Goal
Understand and be able to lead others in knowledge of working with a board of trustees.
TExES
Competency and Domain
Domain
I
Competency
004
Objective
(What do you want to improve?)
I want to improve my knowledge of board member roles and responsibilities and how to provide leadership in establishing mutual expectations.
Course Work/Book/
Workshops
(How do you want to improve?)
Participate in board workshops and trainings
TASBO Trainings
Texas Open Meetings Act
Mentor
Professional Support
(Who will help you improve?)
Superintendent
Date of
Completion
February 2014
Evaluations
(How will you know you have improved?)
I will demonstrate understanding of board roles and responsibilities and be able to provide advice on the subject to other district level administrators.
Goal
Promote the success of students and staff in regards to ethical issues and trends in education.
TExES
Competency and Domain
Domain
I
Competency
001
Objective
(What do you want to improve?)
I want to improve my knowledge base in regards to dealing with current ethical issues and trends impacting education.
Course Work/Book/
Workshops
(How do you want to improve?)
TASA Webinars/Workshops
Professional Literature
Networking
Mentor
Professional Support
(Who will help you improve?)
Todd Smith
District Level administrators

Date of
Completion
February 2014
Evaluations
(How will you know you have improved?)
Be able to successfully address ethical issues and trends that affect my district, as well as be able to lead others in   regards to this. 







Year Three

Goal
Become adept in understanding positive traits of an athletic program, department, and UIL/Title IX requirements.
TExES
Competency and Domain
Domain
II
Competency
006
Objective
(What do you want to improve?)
I want to improve my knowledge of UIL/Title IX regulations and codes.
Course Work/Book/
Workshops
(How do you want to improve?)
Workshops
Literature
websites
Mentor
Professional Support
(Who will help you improve?)
Athletic Director
Superintendent
Date of
Completion
February 2015
Evaluations
(How will you know you have improved?)
Demonstrate knowledge and skills in the area of UIL/Title IX regulations and codes.
Goal
Apply procedures for effective budget planning and management.
TExES
Competency and Domain
Domain
III
Competency
008
Objective
(What do you want to improve?)
I want to improve my knowledge and skills in regards to effective budget planning and management.
Course Work/Book/
Workshops
(How do you want to improve?)
Finance/budget workshops
Board budget workshops

Mentor
Professional Support
(Who will help you improve?)
Superintendent
Chief Financial Officer

Date of
Completion
February 2015
Evaluations
(How will you know you have improved?)
Receive a superior achievement rating in regards to the Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (FIRST)
SISE
I met with my Superintendent on Wednesday February 15 at 8:00 a.m. to discuss my Superintendent/Supervisor Internship Summative Evaluation (SISE). I went to the meeting prepared to discuss the internship, review activities (in depth if need be), and discuss areas for future growth. While those items were discussed during the SISE, my Superintendent focused on “what’s next?” for my future in the district. He told me he thought I’d be ready to become a head principal with one or two more years of experience. If I am not the right candidate for one of our elementary principal positions at the time of the next opening, I learned that it would be in my best interest to move from being an elementary AP to a secondary AP until there was another opening for which to apply. This made sense to me because it would expand my knowledge base and would benefit me as a campus principal and as a future district level leader. During the SISE my Superintendent helped instill in me a sense of confidence that I am on the “right track” towards assuming a head principal position and growing professionally towards my goal of being a district level leader someday. Overall, I learned about some of my perceived strengths and areas in which I can improve, as well as learning of my Superintendent’s vision for me in the future. 


1 comment:

  1. I am right with you on several of your PD plan activities. Budget and operations are huge with me as well. I can say one thing, this program has really opened my eyes to the vast nature of the superintendent position. Enjoyed It!!! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete